Sacramento Food Bank & Family Services (SFBFS) depends on a hardworking and dedicated corps of volunteers on a daily basis. The first step to becoming a volunteer with SFBFS is to attend a volunteer orientation. Sign up for an upcoming orientation here:
Attending volunteer orientation is a prerequisite to volunteering at SFBFS. Volunteer orientation lasts approximately 90 minutes and covers:
- Policies and procedures
- Safety information
- Volunteer position openings
- Program descriptions
- SFBFS' history
- Volunteer application
During orientation, potential volunteers will tour the facility and choose the preferred service area. Following orientation, staff members will contact volunteers for a brief interview. Staff do their best to assign volunteers to their number one choice, however, placement in a volunteer position is not guaranteed as there are not always openings for all volunteer positions.
Volunteer orientations are offered at least four times per month at all facilities. Volunteers may attend orientation at any location. Click here to sign up for a volunteer orientation.
From tutoring adults to sorting clothing to mentoring youth or working outside in the Demonstration Garden, there are endless ways in which your time, skills, talents and passion can be used to make a positive impact in our community.
Please note the following restrictions and requirements to volunteer with SFBFS:
- Minimum age to volunteer is 10 years old
- Volunteers between the ages of 10 - 15 must volunteer with an adult
- Volunteers ages 16 - 17 must receive parental permission to volunteer
- Potential volunteers must attend a 90-minute orientation prior to beginning volunteer service
- Individuals who are currently receiving services from SFBFS or have received services in the past 12 months are not eligible to volunteer. Volunteers are not eligible to receive goods or services from SFBFS.
- In order to perform court-mandated community service hours, you must have a referral from Sacramento County’s Alternative Sentencing Program (ASP). We do not accept court-mandated volunteering from other counties or states