This time of year, SFBFS is blessed to have so many individuals give both their time and money to our organization. We often have people reach out to inquire about what our highest needs are. If you are interested in giving back this holiday season, please consider contributing in one of the following five ways:
1. Cash contributions – financial donations are our GREATEST need. Did you know SFBFS is not a government agency? Donations from individuals, families, companies, special events and grants keep our 15 programs and services going strong. Gifts of all sizes are appreciated. $12 feeds two families for four days! You can give online, by mail, by phone or in person.
2. Volunteers – SFBFS relies on the dedication of over 8,000 volunteers every year. The minimum age to volunteer is 10 and a volunteer orientation is offered every week! Sign up online at www.sacramentofoodbank.org to become a volunteer in one of our 15 programs and services. With a small program staff, SFBFS relies heavily on the generosity of volunteers in our community.
3. Diapers – In addition to serving food and clothing, SFBFS provides diapers to families in need. Our Parent Education program offers free workshops to new parents, who can earn valuable baby supplies such as diapers. Your generous donation of diapers helps out tremendously. An infant can use up to 10 diapers/day, which can add up quickly for a struggling family. Consider collecting and dropping off diapers at SFBFS.
4. Clothing – SFBFS provides free clothing items ranging from interview attire to back to school clothing all at no cost for families in need. All items come directly from the community and given to families at no cost. Do you have items of clothing you no longer want or need? Consider dropping them off at SFBFS or hosting a donation drive to collect at your place of work.
5. Your help spreading the word – If you know of a family in need, please have them visit www.sacramentofoodbank.org or call (916) 456-1980. Our reception team speaks Spanish and can point callers in the right direction. We can help a family find a food distribution in their community, invite them to an upcoming orientation to learn English or study for their GED. We can provide clothing and sign families up for CalFresh. SFBFS even offers low-cost immigration legal services. Please help spread the word about these wonderful services in the community.
Submitted by: Kelly Siefkin